Saturday, December 11, 2010

Sweater makeover: long to layered

I'll admit, I don't always follow the "if you haven't worn it in 6 months get rid of it" rule. I keep thinking at some point I might want to wear it again...but at every season's change I find myself pulling out the same clothes that inevitably will never be worn.

For example, I've worn this sweater a few times over the years, but since I never really felt that great in it, it has spent most of its time in the closet making me feel guilty for not wearing it. It was just a bit too long for my 5'4 frame and not very flattering.

So instead of tossing it, I decided to cut it up and re-fashion it.


So after cutting it into strips, finishing each raw edge with a zig-zag strip, and reattaching it in layers, this is what it looks like now:


The edges naturally ruffled with the zig zag stitch, and I kind of liked it.

The back needs a little work - I cringe when I look at that piece that needs to be snipped...but this is what the back looks like pre-snipped.


Other than that, this old sweater has new flair.
The shorter length is also much more flattering than long and drapey.

I guess I'll throw it back into the closet for another 6 months and see if passes the test!

2 comments:

  1. I never would have thought to cut up a sweater. I would worry about the unfinished edges and having it unravel. I'm impressed with what you have done with this sweater so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm still in awe of all the things you are making and all the ideas that come to you

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! Thanks so much for your comments! ♥

Blogging tips