Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Dye Design T-shirts with Sharpies: part 2

Okay, this is a MUCH better post than the last, for dyeing t-shirts using the Sharpies/rubbing alcohol method. 

The last post was just me finally getting off my duff and giving this Sharpie method a try, but with little to show for it.

Here's the real deal, folks:
Creating t-shirt dye designs with sharpies and rubbing alcohol is SO easy with amazing results!

I love how my new shirt turned out!




Here are the easy play-by-plays:

This started as a simple white tee [make sure it is 100% cotton or color will fade!] but with some colored Sharpies, a few design ideas, some rubbing alcohol and a dropper, it was transformed.

I drew right on the shirt with the sharpies. I knew they were going to bleed after dripping the rubbing alcohol, so I left some space in-between the horizontal lines.


All done with the Sharpies and ready for the rubbing alcohol

I love to see it transform as I drip the rubbing alcohol

Want to watch it as it transforms? 
[much better video than last time, trust me]



After the rubbing alcohol has dried (doesn't take very long) throw your t-shirt into the dryer on hot for ~15 minutes to set the color.



I cut the t-shirt neckline for a more feminine look.
Gotta love how easy that is and how great it turned out! I'll be making more of these for sure.


Never miss a post! Subscribe to ShannonSews
Like on facebook.com/SSorensenDesigns
Follow @ShannonSews1 on Twitter
Subscribe to youtube.com/ShannonSews


Linked to:
DIY by Design  Sugarbee Crafts  Skip to my Lou  Making the World Cuter  Hope Studios  Cherished Bliss  Sew Can Do  Tea Rose Home  Sew Chatty  I Heart Naptime  Flaming Toes  Today's Creative Blog  Blue Cricket Design  733  Sew Much Ado My Girlish Whims  Someday Crafts  Creations by Kara  Ginger Snap Crafts  Rolled Up Pretty  Shabby Creek Cottage  Somewhat Simple  A Glimpse Inside  Gluesticks  House of Hepworths  The 36th Ave  Frugalicious Me  Delicate Construction  TrulyLovely  ShabbyNest  504Main  Creation Corner  French Country Cottage  RoCa & Co

9 comments:

  1. Amazing! I love the simple design and the colors ~ this design would be pretty on the bottom of a white skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a fun idea! I will need to try this for sure! Thanks so much for linking it up today to my blog, you are awesome! Come link something up next week too mkay?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks so fun. i love doing crafts like this. i hope you are feeling better! i heard you had a sore throat. hopefully you feel better by saturday, so we can hit up the joann's sale!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great watercolor effect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great! does it rub off on your skin or bleed at all, or does it set like that forever?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great project. I didn't know that this possible. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shannon, I would love it if you would link it up to my weekly linky party Upcycled Awesome: http://tinyurl.com/upcycledawesome

    ReplyDelete
  8. TwoBees...good question! It hasn't rubbed off on my skin, the color seems to have been set by putting it in the hot dryer for 15-20 minutes after the rubbing alcohol dried. I'm going to throw it in the wash and see what happens to the color. I'll let you know. Finger crossed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So how did the shirt turn out after it was thrown into the wash? It would be a shame if the colors fade out quickly. That style can be used for other kinds of customization, don't you think?

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! Thanks so much for your comments! ♥

Blogging tips