Monday, May 6, 2013

DIY Fabric Weights / Bean Bags / Rice Bags

make your own bean bags or rice bags for fabric weights
As I drafted my straight skirt pattern, and the blasted craft paper kept rolling up on me, I finally did something I should have done a long time ago!

No more fabric sliding off the table while I'm trying to cut. No more craft paper rolling back up into it's tightly wound tube.

I would finally stop the madness and take the time to make myself a set of fabric weights. Long overdue!!

Making fabric weights (or rice bags / bean bags) is probably one of the easiest sewing projects around. It got me thinking that it would be a great kids' sewing project to do at school. What kid wouldn't want their own set of beanbags? Or am I totally old school?


How to Make Fabric Weights / Bean Bags / Rice Bags

easy kids sewing project make bean bagsLets start with bean bags. Perfect for Fabric Weights to keep that pesky slippery fabric and rolling paper in place.

Materials:
-2 squares of fabric
-Thread
-Point tool (pencil, chopstick)
-8 oz Dry Beans per bean bag depending on size (I used pinto)
-Funnel or spoon



1. CUT TWO FABRIC SQUARES
I made my bean bag fabric weights using 6 inch squares.
Great project for using up some of the odds and ends in your fabric stash.

2. PIN FABRIC SQUARES RIGHT SIDES TOGETHER

3. STRAIGHT STITCH AROUND THE OUTSIDE OF THE SQUARE, LEAVING AN OPENING (TO TURN AND INSERT BEANS). It's easiest to leave an opening at the bottom center, rather than on a corner, to keep a square shape.


Sewing your own bean bags is so easy

4. CUT THE CORNERS TO PREVENT BULK
5. TURN THE SQUARE RIGHT SIDE OUT
6. USE A POINT TOOL TO GENTLY SQUARE CORNERS
7. INSERT BEANS WITH A FUNNEL OR SPOON *Don't fill it too full! You still have to stitch the hole shut.
8. PIN HOLE AND STITCH SHUT You can do this by hand or machine stitching. I used my machine. Just be sure to keep the beans out of the way of the needle!

DIY bean bags filled with pinto beans

That's all there is to it!
And now you have a great set of Bean Bag Fabric Weights!
These turned out to be my favorite because they are heavy enough to stop ANY amount of sliding or rolling. 

How to stop fabric from sliding while cutting: make fabric weights bean bags


Rice Bags

make your own rice bags for cold or warm compress or aromatherapy
Rice bags are another great option for Fabric Weights. But don't stop there. Make a few for your medicine cabinet!

Throw a rice bag in the freezer or microwave and use it as a cool or warm compress to soothe headaches, tired eyes, skinned knees or other sore spots.

Plus, you can add a few drops of essential oils like lavender or peppermint to the rice for a little aromatherapy!


The materials and instructions for making rice bags are almost exactly the same as making bean bags. The only difference is using dry rice instead of dry beans.

Like I said, easiest project ever. My favorite!


easy children's sewing project make rice bags

Once I got started, I couldn't stop. I made triangles too, because, why not?
Now I have exactly what I have needed for so long.
Fabric weights made with beans and rice. Now all I need is a taco!

sew your own rice bags or bean bags for fabric weights



Never miss a post! Subscribe to ShannonSews
Like on facebook.com/SSorensenDesigns
Follow @ShannonSews1 on Twitter
Subscribe to youtube.com/ShannonSews


Linked to: http://sewmanyways.blogspot.com/, http://www.iheartnaptime.net, http://www.flamingotoes.com, http://sewchatty.blogspot.com, http://www.thegirlcreative.blogspot.com,

3 comments:

  1. You are writing some Amazing tips. This article really helped me a lot. Thanks for sharing this blog.
    top 10 best bean bags in india

    ReplyDelete
  2. How delicious! Beautiful combinations of pattern & colors, so inspiring for me, I bookmarking your blog for further reading.
    XXXL Bean Bag

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! Thanks so much for your comments! ♥

Blogging tips